Thursday, September 20, 2018

A Birthday Present from Google!




Well, what a nice surprise that was! Today is my birthday and I just finished writing a post about my continued battles with Time (Monster Dad vs. Time 2: Time and Tide Wait for No Man). As the number of one's birthday increases, the excitement level of the approach of that birthday tends to go down in a proportional way (at least that's been the case for me). But there can certainly be positive things about birthdays, even when one is as old and decrepit as Monster Dad. While doing a little research for other blog and video projects I found myself visiting that faithful old online research tool Google. To my surprise I was greeted with a new Google Doodle that featured the letters of the word "GOOGLE" as candles. And the flames on the "candles" were animated. Also, some of the letters had eyes that moved and/or blinked and one of them was tapping its little foot. It was all pretty cute. I figured that Google must be celebrating some sort of birthday or anniversary and didn't think too much more of it.

But when I put my cursor over the Doodle I saw a highlighted message that read "Happy Birthday, Glen!" OMG, the Doodle was for ME! Google was using my name and birthday to send me a personalized greeting of sorts. How neat! But then again, in a way...how creepy! We put so much information online nowadays, and sometimes we have no idea how our personal information will be used and whether some unscrupulous person/website might collect/buy/steal that information for nefarious purposes. But, hey, it's my birthday. Let's keep this positive and worry about the possibility of identity theft another day. Thanks a lot Google for "thinking" of me on my special day (or, at least thank you for having a special algorithm that simulates the fact that someone over there was thinking about me today). I appreciate it! Or, at least for the most part I appreciate it. I think...




No comments:

Post a Comment