Thursday, November 14, 2019

The Little Monster Turns Fourteen!



Yes it's true, today is the day that The Little Monster turns...fourteen(!!!). Wow, now that's really something to think about. Last year at this time I wrote (in Draclea vs. Frakenstein) about the scary thought that our Little Monster--the one who was the main inspiration for this blog when she really WAS little back in 2010--was turning thirteen and becoming a teenager. Somehow we survived this past year, and now suddenly another birthday is upon us. Fourteen doesn't seem like as monumental an age as thirteen, but the simple fact that she just keeps on growing and growing does give me pause to think and wonder just where my Little Monster went?

Here are some of our adventures over the years!


There's a lot I could say about this situation. The Tiny Creature is a ten-year-old herself and I can really see the end of childhood for both the Monsters coming toward us very soon. It's kind of a sad thought. But, of course it's also exciting to see them growing and thriving in their world. From little girls to young women, I guess it's what happens to us all (well, except that some of changed from boys to young men of course!). But I don't want to go on and on here about my continuing issues and battles with my old enemy Time. That can wait for another post. This one is actually something quite different from the usual kind of stuff that I write about. Instead of being a post about my thoughts on The Little Monsters, my past or any of that kind of stuff, this post is meant to be a Birthday Card of sorts. It is meant specifically for The Little Monster, so the rest of it will be written for, and to, her...



Then and now from last year when she turned 13

Happy Birthday, Mini! I can't believe that you're fourteen years old today! I know it probably sounds corny, but I still remember the day we brought a tiny, newborn you home from the hospital fourteen years ago--and promptly left you strapped into your car seat on the dining room table (asleep) while we both collapsed for a quick nap. And we also failed to even remember to close the front door! Luckily we got a little better at the parenting thing over time. We were rookies and there was much to learn. I'd like to think that we've taught you a lot over these past fourteen years (at least I hope we have anyway), but at the same time you (and your little sister) have also taught us everything that we know about parenting!

I'm sure I say something like this every birthday, but I hope that this year will be your best one so far! I hope everything goes your way and you will be healthy and happy throughout. Obviously you have been around long enough to know that life doesn't always work out the way we hope or plan and there are no guarantees, but I can still hope, can't I?

I do have to admit that I miss the "old days" when we'd watch so many movies and old TV shows together all the time (Godzilla films, "Eegah!", "Ghostbusters", Abbott & Costello, "The Brady Bunch", "The Incredible Hulk"...). But I'm glad that, even with changing tastes and many more time commitments, we do still manage to find a little time to watch some fun stuff together ("The 'Burbs", the Rocky movies, "Seinfeld", "The Office"...). You're definitely not little anymore (though at least you still aren't taller than me...yet), but you'll always be my Little Monster. At least I hope so!

So this blog post has sort of been my birthday present to you. But don't worry, there WILL be actual presents too! I just wanted to do something a little different, and kind of make my own personal e-birthday card for you. And now, to wrap things up I actually have a special surprise. Here's someone else who wanted to wish you a happy birthday. Take it away special guest star...



HAPPY 14th BIRTHDAY CUTICLE!



No comments:

Post a Comment