Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Wearin' O' The Green (And Red)



As I write it's a bit after the witching hour, also known as midnight. St. Patrick's Day has come and gone. Not being Irish myself (except for this one day a year I suppose) I didn't really do a whole heck of a lot to celebrate this March 17th. That's kind of unfortunate, as this St. Pat's Day happened to fall on a Saturday. I originally had a half-baked plan to watch a couple of the "Leprechaun" movies. It was half-baked because there was no way I'd be able to pull it off with my Little Monsters around. Yes, I've introduced them to horror movies and monsters over the past few years, but that's all been pretty harmless stuff. I'm certainly not going to force a six-year-old and a two-year-old to watch something as "real" (in the horror sense) as a "Leprechaun" movie. The so-called plan was in fact so bold that I considered watching a double feature of "Leprechaun"(1993) and "Leprechaun 2". I have only seen the first "Leprechaun" movie (the one with Jennifer Aniston) once--many years back--and have never seen the second one (that I recall). It would have made for some interesting viewing I'm sure.


Anyway, I DID at least manage to down a number of bottles of Killian's Irish Red on this fine day, and as the evening was drawing to a close and everyone else in the house was sleeping I made an attempt to see some sort of "Leprechaun" movie. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't offer the first or second movie in the series (or third or fourth for that matter) in their Instant Viewing selection. However, they DO have "Leprechaun in the Hood" (aka "Leprechaun 5: in the Hood") (2000). A friend actually recommended this one to me a while back for its sheer silly strangeness, so it seemed like a nice way to close out St. Paddy's Day 2012.


I have to say that, while not a "good" movie by any means, "Leprechaun 5" certainly didn't disappoint. Warwick Davis (well-known "little person" also seen in "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" and "Willow") stars as the titular little green man (as he does in all the installments in the series) and Ice T plays a pimp turned rap producer and gets to chew a lot of scenery to good effect. Other than a couple instances where I was surprised (and a wee bit disappointed) that some of the killings were done off-screen or with a minimum of gore and detail it was overall a pretty fun (and funny) romp through the dangers of taking a leprechaun's gold and the repercussions of doing so. Now I just have to see the first four movies, as well as the sixth one: "Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood" (2003). I'm particularly looking forward to "Leprechaun 4: In Space" (1997).  Something tells me that it's not a huge problem that I started off by watching the fifth movie first. This isn't exactly the "Godfather" saga we're talking about here!

Top O' The Mornin' (after St. Pat's) To Ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment